This is the bisque that was served at our Leelanau Peninsula tasting room during the annual LPVA Toast the Season event. It’s perfect for the cool winter months!
Apple Squash Bisque
Jonathan Dayton/Executive Chef at Black Star Farms
3 T unsalted butter
2 large yellow onions, finely chopped
2 shallots, finely chopped
1 large carrot, finely chopped
3 ribs celery, finely chopped
1 butternut squash
1 acorn squash
5 c vegetable or chicken stock
1 t finely chopped fresh rosemary
2 t finely chopped fresh thyme
½ c half-and-half
1 t cinnamon
½ t nutmeg
½ c honey
Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
– Peel and seed the acorn and butternut squash and cut into 2-inch chunks.
– Save the seeds and roast in the oven for garnish.
– Peel and core the apples and cut into 2-inch chunks.
– In a soup pot over medium-high heat, melt the butter and saute the onion, shallots, carrots and celery until softened, about 8-10 minutes.
– Add the apples and squash and cook until nicely coated, about 3 minutes longer.
– Add the stock, hard apple cider, rosemary and thyme and bring to a boil.
– Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the vegetables are soft, about 25 minutes.
– Remove from the heat and stir in the honey, half-and-half, nutmeg and cinnamon.
– Using a hand-held or standing blender, puree the soup until smooth.
– Salt and pepper to taste.
– Reheat gently over low heat before service.