Though there are plenty of great things to do in Traverse City and the surrounding area, one of the best things to do in the area is enjoy wine tasting at the many extraordinary Leelanau Peninsula Wineries. There are more than twenty Leelanau Peninsula wineries worth visiting, not to mention even more wineries on the Old Mission Peninsula and tasting rooms in downtown Traverse City.
The Leelanau Peninsula is the western arm of Michigan’s lower peninsula surrounding Grand Traverse Bay. There are several fantastic things to do on the Leelanau Peninsula, including admiring stunning vistas of Lake Michigan at places like Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, visiting historic landmarks, communities, and lighthouses, and, of course, wine tasting.
Among the best Leelanau Peninsula Wineries is Black Star Farms Winery, located near Suttons Bay and approximately 20 minutes north of Traverse City proper. The Suttons Bay location is the original and flagship location of Black Star Farms’ Winery. It is also the site of our extraordinary Bed and Breakfast in Traverse City, itself an exceptional wine-country getaway.
If you’re looking for the ultimate summer getaway in Michigan this year, consider visiting our Bed and Breakfast in Traverse City and exploring the extraordinary Leelanau Peninsula wineries that call this area home. Book your room at our top-rated Bed and Breakfast in Michigan today!
Black Star Farms is a Top Michigan Winery
Leelanau Peninsula wineries are part of the broader Traverse Wine Coast, including the Old Mission Peninsula. Wineries on both the Leelanau Peninsula Wine Trail and the Old Mission Peninsula Wine Trail share a distinct climate regulated by Lake Michigan. Though there are a great variety of grapes grown at local Leelanau Peninsula wineries and vineyards, most of the wines produced in this region are fruit-forward, and all thrive in the typically cold climate found on the Traverse Wine Coast.
Among the 20+ Leelanau Peninsula Wineries, Black Star Farms is one of the most critically acclaimed. Black Star Farms has produced internationally-acclaimed wines from vineyards on both the Leelanau and Old Mission Peninsulas since 1998. Our flagship location in Suttons Bay on the Leelanau Peninsula is a 160-acre estate focused on sustainable agricultural practices.
To date, we produce over 50 different Michigan wines, not to mention a range of ciders and spirits. With such a great range of wines, you’re bound to find something for every palette here – just another reason why we’re considered one of the best Leelanau Peninsula Wineries. You can taste our wines in our Suttons Bay Tasting room, about 20 minutes north of Traverse City. We offer a beautiful indoor tasting room, a private VIP Barrel room for wine club members and Inn guests only, or on our beautiful and seasonal outdoor patio.
We offer wine flights and wines by the glass for a traditional wine-tasting experience. Take your wine-tasting adventure at our Leelanau Peninsula winery to the next level with one of our progressive wine and food-tasting experiences. It features a sparkling wine toast, a guided tasting in our signature wine cave, and samples of our decadent dessert wines in our VIP Barrel Room, all accompanied by various small bites. We also offer a new, highly curated tasting experience that includes access to five top-tier wines, an in-depth pairing guide with our experts, and a delicious custom-made charcuterie board to accompany the wines.
We also offer one of the biggest wine clubs among Leelanau Peninsula wineries, a great way to keep a steady supply of our delicious Michigan wines on your table. Wine club members will enjoy four shipments a year of our wines, exclusive access to limited-release wines, exclusive access to our VIP Barrel room, and so much more. While you’re visiting us this summer, make sure to ask us how to join Michigan’s best wine club.
More Great Leelanau Peninsula Wineries
After you’ve thoroughly enjoyed the tastings and various experiences at Black Star Farms, we encourage you to get out and visit several other great Leelanau Peninsula Wineries for a well-rounded experience at some of the best Michigan wineries. Below, we’ve listed ten more of our favorite Leelanau Peninsula wineries for you to visit. Of course, when you’re done on the Leelanau Peninsula, don’t forget about the remaining wineries on the Traverse Wine Coast!
- Chateau Fontaine Winery focuses on delicious French-style wines, including Chardonnay, Pinot Blanc, Riesling, Pinot, Gris, Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Auxorrais, Merlot, Syrah, and Cabernet Franc.
- 45 North Vineyard and Winery, named for its location on the 45th parallel, is one of the best Leelanau Peninsula wineries to visit after Black Star Farms. Its wine-tasting room is housed in a charming rustic barn overlooking 35 beautiful acres of vineyard and the surrounding countryside.
- Bluestone Vineyard is one of the newer Leelanau Peninsula wineries to open in the area. It’s home to a beautifully modern and industrial tasting room and features various wines from Riesling and Chardonnay to Pinot Noir, Merlot, and Cabernet Franc.
- Amoritas Vineyards is one of the few Leelanau Peninsula Wineries specializing in white wines. Their tasting room also displays a beautiful assortment of art from local artists and other Michigan-made products for purchase, making this an excellent stop on your wine-tasting adventure around the Leelanau Peninsula.
- Leelanau Wine Cellars offers an extensive range of red, white, and blush wines, making it an excellent stop among Leelanau Peninsula Wineries. The water views from here are as stunning as the delicious wines.
- Like Black Star Farms, Shady Lane Cellars is a family-owned and operated vineyard specializing in award-winning wines and is a great place to enjoy an afternoon of wine tasting.
- Mawby Vineyards & Winery is the perfect place to go if you want a delicious sparkling wine.
- If you want a boutique wine-tasting experience, head to Aurora Cellars. You can only find their wines on-site in their tasting room, but you can expect a delicious variety here, including Riesling, Chardonnay, and Pinot Noir from their vineyards.
- For something unique to this part of Michigan, try the cherry wines at Silver Leaf Vineyard & Winery. They produce a delicious assortment of cherry wines – a must while on the Leelanau Peninsula!
- Head to Verterra Winery on the shores of Lake Michigan and enjoy what has recently been rated as the best dry white wine in Michigan three years in a row.
No matter where you head on your wine-tasting adventure, start your journey at Black Star Farms, the leading winery on Michigan’s Leelanau Peninsula. Make the experience even better and stay with us at our top-rated Bed and Breakfast in Traverse City. Book your room today!