Located in the heart of Northern Michigan Wine Country, and only fifteen minutes from downtown Traverse City, the Inn at Black Star Farms is the perfect choice for your next up north getaway. Whether you are looking to take it easy or tackle an adventure there is plenty to do and see in Leelanau County. Here are some of our favorites that are only minutes away!
- Leelanau Peninsula Wine Trail: Just a short walk from your cozy room start with a complimentary tasting at our exclusive wine-club-members-only Barrel Room. Here you will experience a level of refinement above and beyond our standard tasting. Then journey out on to Michigan’s oldest wine trail where 24 wineries are divided into 3 mini-trails for easy touring.
- Hop Lot Brewing Company: Feeling a little “wined out”? Head to this unique four-season microbrewery with a one-of-a-kind beer garden. Bonfires, outdoor games in the summer, igloos in the winter, and live music are some of the fun things offered by our neighbors to the north.
- Grand Traverse Bike Tours: Get outdoors and explore wine country with a self-guided bike tour along the paved Leelanau Trail. Bike delivery, roadside assistance, wine purchase pickup and picnic lunch are all included!
- Explore DeYoung Natural Area: Preserved by the Leelanau Conservancy and located on Cedar Lake, this 191 acre natural area combines a historic farmstead, 2 miles of easy to moderate hiking trails and a fishing/viewing pier.
- Golf Bahle Farms: Enjoy majestic views of Leelanau County while playing this public, 18 hole course that weaves through rolling hills and working cherry orchards.
- Visit Fishtown: Located just 9 miles away in Leland, Fishtown is one of the only working commercial fishing villages in the state of Michigan. Walk along the docks where original fishing shanties (some over 150 years old) now house boutiques, art galleries and specialty food shops.
- Experience the Village of Suttons Bay: Quaint and charming, this year ‘round coastal village is home to plenty of specialty shops, galleries, restaurants, parks and beaches.
- Catch a Movie at The Bay Theatre: Located in downtown Suttons Bay, this historic landmark dates back to 1946. Completely renovated, this charming single screen theatre plays first run Academy-Award winning blockbusters, as well as independent and foreign films.
- Leelanau Cheese Company: Once housed in our Suttons Bay tasting room, our friends can now be found a quick ¼ mile south on M22. Sample and purchase their award-winning Raclette and Fromage Blanc. Depending on when you visit, you might even catch them making cheese!
- 9 Bean Rows Bakery: Owners Jen and Nick Welty started their up north farming/baking/restaurant ventures right here at Black Star Farms. Now their friendly Lake Leelanau bakery is a must stop for a variety of rustic breads and traditional European pastries.
The quieter months of spring are the perfect time to visit Northern Michigan and give yourself the gift of relaxation! Sunday -Thursday, during the months March and April, reserve one night at full price and get the second for half off! Additional amenities include afternoon refreshments, evening wine reception, full gourmet breakfast, complimentary bottle of our Red House White wine, V.I.P. wine tasting in the Barrel Room at our on-site tasting room, and enjoyment of our sauna, library, and recreational trails.
Little Details to Note: