Old Mission Tasting Room
Black Star Farms Old Mission sits just off scenic M-37 among the rolling hills, vineyards, orchards and gorgeous views of Old Mission Peninsula. The state of the art wine processing facility focuses on our white wine production. The tasting room boasts a round bar constructed from wine barrels, a cozy fireplace, and a knowledgeable and friendly staff. You can taste many of our award-winning wines and brandies, all of which express the regional nature of northwest Michigan.
Fun facts about Black Star Farms Old Mission!
- Our property and buildings formally housed Underwood Farm Market and Cider Mill. For 25 years this was a very popular destination, especially in the fall when visitors could view the apple harvest, pick pumpkins and enjoy freshly made donuts and warm apple cider.
- The property that houses our tasting room and production facility was the first conservation easement to be established on the Underwood Farm’s property.
- What is now our winery facility, was a fruit processing plant that was in service for 50 years.
- We “recycled”, meaning that we made very little changes to, the existing buildings when we moved in.
- The property has one of the largest balaton cherry orchards on the peninsula. It is the primary source for our cherry wine.
- This facility houses our specialty fruit still that produces numerous different European style brandies.
- The still was purchased from Germany and was shipped over with three other stills, one of which was for our fellow Old Mission Peninsula winery, Chateau Chantal.
- Our focal “wine barrel” tasting bar in our tasting room was made from a total of ten wine barrels.
LOCATION & CONTACT
360 McKinley Rd. East
Traverse City, MI 49686