As the largest city in northern Michigan, it’s probably no surprise that there are a lot of great things to do in Traverse City and the surrounding areas. From enjoying time spent on the stunning Grand Traverse Bay to wine tasting on the Leelanau Peninsula, which is located just north of the city, it’s truly a unique destination worth experiencing in 2023. Though summer is our peak travel season, you’ll find plenty of things to do in Traverse City and surrounding areas in all four seasons.
Whenever you visit, you can expect plenty of stunning natural beauty and warm hospitality, especially when you make our Bed and Breakfast in Traverse City your home away from home. Though we’re located just 13 miles north of the city, we offer a completely different an experience from traditional urban lodging. With an on-site winery, restaurant, and various activities at Black Star Farms, it’s easy to see why we’re often rated as one of the best places to stay in Traverse City and the surrounding area.
One of the key benefits of being 13 miles away from Traverse City is that we’re far enough away from the hustle and bustle of the city to relax, unwind, and enjoy the kind of getaway you deserve – yet we’re close enough for you to enjoy the best things to do in Traverse City, too. If you’re ready for the adventure of a lifetime, book your room at Black Star Farms, and discover why we’re considered one of the best places to stay in Traverse City!
The Best Things to do in Traverse City This Year
Between the Leelanau Peninsula, where you’ll find Black Star Farms and many of the leading Traverse City wineries, Old Mission Peninsula, and Grand Traverse Bay, it’s easy to see why the Traverse City area is such a fantastic destination to visit. Not only are there plenty of great things to do in Traverse City itself, but it’s also the best jumping-off point for visiting the most beautiful place in America, Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore.
Whether you’ve come to relax, shop, adventure on land and water, or sip your way through gorgeous Michigan wine country, you’ll love the sheer volume of things to do in this area. We’ve compiled a list of ten of the best things to do in Traverse City this year and can’t wait to share them all – plus so many more – with you!
- Wine tasting is, without a doubt, one of the best things to do in Traverse City. Start with a flight and a wine tour at Black Star Farms, one of the top Traverse City Wineries, and then sip and swirl your way around the Leelanau Peninsula Wine Trail.
- Don’t miss a day trip to Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. There are plenty of great beaches, hiking trails, bike trails, and even an epic dune climb to enjoy, but if you’re short on time, a great place to start is the Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive which offers a breathtaking view of Lake Michigan.
- Take a trip to the end of the Old Mission Peninsula and visit the Mission Point Lighthouse – one of the many great lighthouses on Grand Traverse Bay, including the Grand Traverse Lighthouse. Visiting these historic buildings is one of the best things to do in Traverse City.
- Biking is one of the top things to do in Traverse City. Popular trails include the TART Trails, including the Leelanau Trail, and the Sleeping Bear Heritage Trail worth considering.
- Getting out on the water in Grand Traverse Bay is one of the most beautiful things to do in Traverse City. There’s nothing better than the warm sun on your face and the wind in your hair – and there are several ways to get out and explore. Take a sailing adventure or paddle your way around area waterways. Don’t forget, we offer a sailing package and more at our Bed and Breakfast in Traverse City!
- Setting sail on Grand Traverse Bay is always a great experience, but it’s even more majestic when aboard one of the Tall Ships that call this area home.
- There are a lot more things to do in Traverse City than wine tasting and adventuring in the outdoors. Take a tour of the Dennos Museum, one of the leading small art museums in the midwest. For even more artistic outlets, visit the many great art galleries in downtown Traverse City.
- Shop, dine, and explore your way through the gorgeous Village at Grand Traverse Commons, a collection of beautifully restored and repurposed historic buildings that houses several shops, boutiques, galleries, and restaurants. There’s also great shopping in downtown Traverse City.
- Given how surrounded this area is by water, it’s easy to see why spending a warm summer day at the beach is one of the most popular things to do in Traverse City. There are plenty of beaches to choose from, too.
- Attending events is also one of the best things to do in Traverse City, especially if you’re in town in July for the popular National Cherry Festival.
One of the Best Places to Stay in Traverse City
With majestic grounds, on-site wine-tasting facilities, a fantastic restaurant, and warm, friendly, and detail-oriented hospitality, it’s easy to see why Black Star Farms is rated as one of the best places to stay in Traverse City. Our Bed and Breakfast in Traverse City is situated on 160 breathtaking acres near Suttons Bay on the Leelanau Peninsula. We’re just a 20-minute drive from downtown Traverse City, offering couples an unparalleled escape from the outside world.
Our equestrian-inspired Inn is surrounded by the gorgeous vineyards of Michigan wine country, offering sweeping pastoral views and easy access to many of the top things to do in Traverse City. We offer clean, contemporary guest rooms for your enjoyment; each outfitted with a delightful range of amenities. We also offer several packages and enhancements that can be used to transform your guest experience into something extraordinary.
We meet and exceed every expectation – just another reason we’re considered one of the best places to stay in Traverse City. Every stay at our Bed and Breakfast in Traverse City includes a complimentary bottle of house wine in your room upon arrival, a daily gourmet breakfast, a nightly reception with wine and appetizers, and a complimentary flight or glass of wine in our tasting room.
We can’t wait to welcome you to Traverse City this year. Book your room with us today, and enjoy being pampered at one of the best places to stay in Traverse City.