At Black Star Farms, we make every attempt to show our appreciation for what the Earth provides us. Our goal is to be environmentally and socially responsible within every operational decision we make. Our products, services, and experiences are provided by the ground. We must be responsible stewards to ensure that the same ground will remain healthy for many generations to come. Below are just some of the measures we take in our commitment to sustainable practices.
- Ensuring our Farmstead, Cropping, Livestock, and Forestry standards meet or exceed the Michigan Agriculture Environmental Assurance Program (MAEAP) as set forth by our agricultural governing bodies. We were proudly one of the first farms in Michigan to receive all four certifications.
- Proud member and driving force of the Great Lakes Sustainable Wine Alliance, a unifying group of Michigan wine industry members who have demonstrated their commitment to sustainability practices.
- Making every attempt to reduce our energy footprint through the use of LED lighting, high-efficiency heating systems, low energy pumps and motors, and photovoltaic electricity production.
- Partnering with organizations, such as Tesla, to provide energy-efficient charging systems for low or zero-emission vehicles.
- Supporting educational institutions, such as Michigan State University, in providing real-world examples and data regarding the implementation of sustainable, environmentally friendly operations.
- Continuing our search for sustainable and environmentally friendly methods to operate our business.
- Encouraging the conversation regarding our environmental impact and the responsibility we have for protecting our current resources.